What do you think of the role of culture in climate change / moving towards an ecological age?
Most issues of "sustainability" are cultural issues - they arise from cultural practices, beliefs and perceptions of world and self.
Who are your favourite artists/ filmmakers / other cultural 'actors'. Add links if possible
Too many to note here! I lecture on arts and sustainability.
What is your biggest concern re. climate change?
I don't have just one, so here are a few.
My primary concern is that we must not make the mistake of focusing so exclusively on Climate Change that we disconnect from related issues and concerns. We must look at the overall well-being of habitats and ecosystem communities - of which humans are also a part. Climate Change is one piece of that, not the whole pie.
I am very concerned about:
- Denial and resistance to change on the part of corporations and governments and the media spin promoting denial
- Addiction to fossil fuels
- Inappropriate corporate bottom lines
- Habitat and species loss
- Loss of fresh, clean water for all species
- Rapid desertification and on...
What is your biggest inspiration re. climate change?
The amount of awareness and concern on the part of citizens all over the world.
The passionate engagement and commitment of cultural workers and artists working with communities, scientists, and others
What do you think you can do to help prevent / minimise climate change?
I myself work in the area of culture and sustainability - so this is how I live my life, every day. My footprint is minimized within the parameters of where I live and the work I do.
A few quick thoughts:
- Dominant human cultures change the way we act in the world. We must abandon 19th century industrial practices, although the inertia in the system is great and making such changes will likely involve some "pain".
- Corporate culture and economics systems must be radically revised.
- Overall, we must fundamentally change how we humans perceive ourselves in relation to the world. We are inextricably part of ecosystem community.
You need to be a member of CultureFutures to add comments!